Saturday, December 11, 2010

How original is too original and how far can you follow before you can't find your way back?


4) Follow Trends or Be Original?

Twilight is the biggest trend I know of right now and by Twilight I mean vampires. It’s difficult to define how original someone is compared to how much they follow trends. For example, I like vampires; I like some of the ways they are portrayed now. However, I dislike how they are everywhere now. It has become too big of a trend, in my eyes, because I think that a lot of people only like Twilight-related things, because EVERYONE else does. So, I like vampires, but dislike the trend, so what does this make me in terms of a follower or an original? I suppose somewhere in the middle, closer to a follower. I like to think of myself as original, but I know I do follow trends. Most of the trends I follow are things that I like, such as wearing scarves, I love scarves and so when I see other people wearing them and think of how nice it looks I go out and buy myself some. I don’t follow trends that I don’t agree with just to “fit in.” There is a thin line between following trends and being original and another even thinner line between being original and being alone. Some trends you do have to follow to fit into society, and it’s not just for others, it’s for yourself as well. For example, hygiene is important and a “trend” could be to maintain good hygiene. Obviously, not everyone does this, but to be accepted by society, it is common knowledge that you will follow the basics of good personal hygiene care. Some examples include taking a shower every once in a while and washing your clothes more than once a year. (That’s an exaggeration; hopefully most people wash themselves and their clothes more often.) We, as a society, follow trends that we see through the media, whether we know it or not. Even those who are “original” are never really original because there are other people out there thinking the exact same thing as them. If I had to be one, I would call myself a follower because I want to look good and fit in. I am a shy person and so do not always speak my mind when I know there are people that will disagree with my opinion. This hugely makes me a follower. I don’t wear bright lime green pants or half shirts, I know what works for me and what doesn’t, as well as what society would find acceptable and what it wouldn’t.

I think that everyone should be themselves, whether that means they follow trends or not. If you're not yourself, then you may lose yourself, and who would you be then?
How original is too original and how far can you follow before you can't find your way back?

-image taken from http://yasik.kiev.ua/jj/-

No comments:

Post a Comment