Sunday, December 12, 2010

CISV (The greatest thing since ice-cream)

5) An entry on whatever you would like to write about.

I am a part of this amazing organization that is called CISV. It is a non-political, non-religious, non-profit, non-biased, youth-run, international club to promote global peace and friendship. People from around the world go to camps to meet other like-minded people and make life-long friends. It is one of my favourite things in the world (followed by ice-cream). But enough boring explanation, I wanted to write about it to explain how it changed my life. I’ve been to three CISV camps in the last three years.

At the first one my best friends were from Denmark and Indonesia and I learned that I could be a leader. We had one simulation activity where the leaders dressed up in masks and turned off the lights. They chased us into one room and had five chairs in the middle. “Whoever is sitting on these chairs in one hour will survive, but we are going to kill the rest of you.” We all sat around the chairs unsure what to do watching the minutes tick on by. Finally, I began speaking, for the first time during this camp, which was three weeks long, I took charge. I asked people what they thought of this and what the possible solutions could be. I became the leader that was required. I was shocked when someone suggested that I take one of the chairs, because I was a great leader, and the others agreed. Before this activity I hadn’t accepted that I could be a leader, instead always letting someone else take charge. It was a great experience.

At the next camp, my best friends were from Waterlou and Calgary. I helped plan a ton of activities, but I worked too hard and so didn’t have as much fun as I should have had. I learned to not take everything so seriously.

At my last camp, my best friends were from Iceland and Sweden. I became a leader at this camp before it even started, by making a Facebook group and discussing possible activities. I led all of the camp meetings and I took a huge role in the organization of the camp. It was amazing. I love CISV for that and many other reasons. I now have friends around the world that I talk to and share experiences with. CISV truly is the greatest things since ice-cream, and that’s saying a lot, because ice-cream is wonderful. :D

-It took me a long time to think of what to write for this one, because I work better with boundaries, but I just tried to think of something that I really love, hoping I would be able to write enough about it. Turns out I was able to write way more than needed. :)-

1 comment:

  1. It is a beautiful story. I happen to know about CISV by typing International Financial Committee, as I am trying to assist the Brazilian Population in Political and Social Pain. I have enjoyed reading ,and I hope to see more...

    ReplyDelete